Ever Thought of Being a Mentor?
Daily Read – Ever Thought of Being a Mentor?
Do you love your job with a passion, but feel there is something missing? If you’re not giving back, mentoring could be a way to make a great career even more satisfying. Perhaps you don’t feel like you have enough experience or tenure? Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to be in the later stages of your career to be a valuable asset to a young professional. Chances are if you speak to a “mentee” they will convince you of the great value you possess. If you still need more convincing, read on…
- You can directly influence the productivity of your employees. Through mentoring, you’ll be able to impact the efficiency of others. Mentoring may be your chance to impart your wisdom on those who need a productivity boost (you employees, team members, interns, to name a few).
- It’s a chance to challenge yourself. Doling out advice sets you up to stay on the ball at all times. As a mentor, you’re forced to consider your actions and experiences, learn from them, and share them.
- Revisiting past lessons can be transformative. Regardless of whether you’re just starting your career or you’ve been at it for 20 years, the hurdles you’ve overcome (both positively and negatively) are worth revisiting.
- You’ll help your mentee to harness their talents. As a mentor, you’ll be able to help others improve their career by keying in on and nurturing what they’re great at; something that’s often difficult to do with oneself.
- Giving back feels good. Let’s face it: Helping others can feel pretty nice at the end of the day.
- There’s always something to be learned. Through mentorship, you’re essentially opening the door to a number of different learning opportunities, insights and new ideas. The learning cycle goes both ways!
- There are more options than just face-to-face mentoring. Today, mentor-mentee relationships don’t just have to take place in your office or local coffee shop. Thanks to Skype, social media, and email, you can mentor someone anywhere in the world.
Have you mentored or been mentored? Perhaps you could share some insight or motivation as well!
Read entire article at: http://goo.gl/2nJRPh